Re: Panel item question

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:58:02AM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> FWIW, I'm with you.  A menu entry labelled "Netscape" should run netscape,
> not "my favourite browser".

I accidentally emailed Ryan off-list, so my apologies to him for this
redundant post.

My take on the matter is that Netscape is *not* part of a standard
Debian system.  Furthermore, unlike a year ago or so, we now have some
viable alternatives.  Therefore, in my opinion, GNOME should not have
a Netscape button at all.  It should have a GNOME web-browser item, as
Ryan suggested, but not in addition to the Netscape item.  It should
have one *instead*.

Furthermore, gnome-moz-browser should not default to Netscape, it
should default to either Mozilla or Galeon, and one (or both) should
be considered a standard part of GNOME, and should be included by some
GNOME-related selection in tasksel.

I'm not a fanatic, but as it is, the system you install from CD will
be broken unless you either reconfigure it (to use something besides
Netscape) or connect to the net and install more software (from our
non-free repository).  This is not how things should work.

GNOME is easy enough to use that anyone who *really* wants a Netscape
button on their panel should be able to figure out how to install one.

cheers
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single