Re: CVS debian build scripts

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:59:16AM +0200, Bart Schuller wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 12:46:12PM +0800, Ian McKellar wrote:
> > Well, I suspect you won't be particularly interested then. What I'm doing is
> > building some of the as yet unreleased GNOME tools like Gill (The GNOME
> > Illustrator), etc. I'm still using .debs of the official releases of the
> > core gnome stuff (gnome-core, gnome-libs, etc).
>
> The current potato packages are new enough to compile bonobo, gill, eog,
> gdk-pixbuf. The people on this list are cranking out new versions faster
> than I can compile them at home.

Yes, I'm very impressed by how the core packages are going now, but there was
a while when things were off track.

> > Well, I'm a reformed perl monger - 2 years of hacking perl only to realise
> > that I now had an enourmous amount of unmaintainable code that was in place.
>
> You don't suppose that the chance to start over after two years is what
> actually makes the difference here?

Probably ;-)

> We've got more than two years of perl code here and it's still as
> maintainable as we made it.

Yes, thats the issue. I was working to tight deadlines, and my prototypes
turned into shipping products before I knew it. Trying to explain to a
manager why they shouldn't be selling the proof of concept you showed them
this morning for at least a couple of weeks is hard.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar | Email: yakk(a)yakk.net   | Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Prefix: +61 8 | Fax/VoiceMail: 9265 0821 | Home: 9389 9162 | Work: 9380 3688