Re: CVS debian build scripts

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 04:30:47PM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> Ian McKellar <yakk-debian-gtk-gnome@yakk.net.au> writes:
> > is anyone else interested in these packages
>
> Could you clarify what you mean?  If you're talking about building
> from CVS, well, I, personally, am not particularly interested---I need
> to be able to get work done, which means an at least nominally stable
> desktop environment.

:-)

Well, I suspect you won't be particularly interested then. What I'm doing is
building some of the as yet unreleased GNOME tools like Gill (The GNOME
Illustrator), etc. I'm still using .debs of the official releases of the
core gnome stuff (gnome-core, gnome-libs, etc).

I'm hopeing to come up with some debian/ directories for these programs that
I can check back into CVS.

> If you mean in the fate of the Debian packages (which have lagged
> woefully far behind in the last few months), then yes, people are very
> interested in these packages, and we're working hard to see that
> Debian has gnome-1.0.50 very, very soon after it's released.

Fantastic. My experience building Debian packages is limited, and I'm not
an official developer yet, but I would be more than happy to lend a hand with
these.

> > has anyone else had trouble calling "dpkg --install" from within
> > python?
>
> <Insert obligatory perl monger's feelings about python here>

Well, I'm a reformed perl monger - 2 years of hacking perl only to realise
that I now had an enourmous amount of unmaintainable code that was in place.
Now I even like python's regular expressions more than perl's, and _thats_
saying something.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar | Email: yakk(a)yakk.net   | Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Prefix: +61 8 | Fax/VoiceMail: 9265 0821 | Home: 9389 9162 | Work: 9380 3688