Re: Updated status of GNOME in potato

Ok, last post (I promise!) -- just to settle any still-ruffled feathers.

[my original quote here]
>>   No, "we" wouldn't!  I'm sorry, but one of the big advantages I find
>>   in working with free software is that "we" take the time to do it
>>   right, rather than working in a mad panic to meet arbitary
>>   deadlines.  I get enough of this "we need to release the moment that
>>   <foo> happens" crap at work!

>>   Debian stands for quality, not speed.

> You imply, that any work so far was done in "mad panic" (and thous of
> low quality).

That is certainly not what I meant to imply.  As far as I knew/know,
there had not *been* any time deadlines until the moment of Michael's
post, so I was certainly *not* trying to imply *anthing* about
existing work.  Didn't even occur to me that someone might infer
that.

> You refer to the prior postings in this thread as "crap".

No, I referred to one idea -- the idea of a time deadline -- as crap,
and perhaps I did go a little too far there, and I apologize, but I
*do* get too much of that crap at work, and all too often it is most
*definitely* crap in that context.  :-)

In twenty years in this business, I have seen some *very* unpleasant
effects of arbitrary deadlines.  I have seen people seriously risk
(and damage) their health with lack of sleep and drug abuse.  I have
seen marriages and companies ruined.

I'm *not* a big fan of arbitrary deadlines.  (Much like a Vietnam vet
is not a big fan of incoming artillery fire.)  If I was overly
emphatic there, well, I think I have the scars to justify it.

> I suggest you choose a better wording next time

Hmm, I'll certainly try if people will try to read in a less paranoid
manner in the future.  :-)

I *did* say, "Debian stands for quality, not speed", but somehow,
nobody read that as a compliment.  Aren't you all Debian developers?
Don't you think quality is a good thing?  Shouldn't you feel
flattered, rather than somehow insulted, by what I said?  :-)

Let me put it this way then: everyone has been doing a great job.
Let's *continue* to do a great job, and continue to make the best
working, best organized collection of software anywhere in the world.
Let's *not* start adopting arbitrary deadlines for releases *unless*
we can do so without compromising those standards.

There.   *whew*!

cheers