Re: Updated status of GNOME in potato

* "Chris" == Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> wrote:

Chris> I post a simple reminder to be careful, and I get yelled at and
Chris> people swear at me.  What on earth is that about?  Do I need to
Chris> break out the tranquilizer darts?  Sheesh!  :-)

Sorry Chris, but this was not how I (and I am obviously not alone)
read your mail:

  [ We would like to release GNOME 1.0.50 packages timely]

  No, "we" wouldn't!  I'm sorry, but one of the big advantages I find
  in working with free software is that "we" take the time to do it
  right, rather than working in a mad panic to meet arbitary
  deadlines.  I get enough of this "we need to release the moment that
  <foo> happens" crap at work!

  Debian stands for quality, not speed.

You imply, that any work so far was done in "mad panic" (and thous of
low quality). You refer to the prior postings in this thread as
"crap".

I suggest you choose a better wording next time you want to post a
"simple reminder". You complain people started to yell, but in fact it
was you that changed the tone.

Regarding the quality of the GNOME packages in unstable: They are in
the best state since mid-may, when I and others finished the slink
update pack.

And I explicitly like to thank everybody who took the time and energy
to fix the bugs in the core GNOME packages and to prepare the new
ones. And also to the ones who held their packages up high all the
time.

And since I had not the opportunity yet: welcome back Steve, we missed
you here.

Chris> Furthermore, we have, as Mr. Dorman pointed out, seen uploads
Chris> recently that just plain didn't work.

When did he said that?. These buggy core packages, if you refer to the
same as I do, were not "recently" uploaded, but had show-stopper bugs
open since mid-june.  It were the latest NMUs that fixed things and
made them work again.

Chris> All I am asking is that people take the time to make sure that
Chris> things work before uploading.

I think everybody has (or should have) a checklist for the (core on
big packages) functionality. You don't expect the emacs maintainer to
test every aspect of the package, no?

I am very content with the latest power and activity. And I don't see
a wget | debuild | dupload pipe anywhere. The packages are good, none
was broken.

Ciao,
	Martin