Re: Changing gitlab-ci.yml for user-facing programs?

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:39:24PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > The current salsa-CI setting is designed in a way that it checks
> > that onupdating a package a reverse dep is not breaking (as things work this way in the
> > go world) -- great.
> >
> > However, it still lacks the intensive testing that usual
> > salsa_CI config has (build + i386build + lintian + reprotest + arch:any build + arch:all .. so on)
> > due to understandeable reasons for now (not much resources IIRC?)
> >
> > However I think the current config is not useful for packages that users will directly
> > use as programs, and which do not have an arch:all lib package.
> > For example: aerc, micro, riseup-vpn, go-sendxmpp et. al. and I would much rather like to use
> > the default salsa-ci config pipeline for these and I have changed it for a couple of them already.
> >
> > What do you think? And is there an objection in general?
>
> I don't see why the Go Team packages should not run _also_ the whole
> Salsa CI pipeline.

The reason was resources IIRC (as written above) but I could be mistaken.

> Maybe some tests are not that relevant, don't know which and why,

Reprotest, blhc and cross-build are the non-relevant ones as far as I can see.
All three need to be fixed at compiler level.

> but
> I would be happy to see with my eyes what's going on instead of just
> assuming things.

I share your opinion here.

> Pipelines are exceptionally good at breaking at the
> unexpected place.

Indeed!

> I made a naive experiment a couple of days ago [0] and included both the
> pipelines. It did not work, I evidently have quite some homework to do.

You need to modify the pipeline .yml files and check :)

> Now, how to keep an overview of which pipelines are running where?

You can't I guess, but is that even relevant though? - Just trying to understand.
One point is that using different configs adds inconsistency across team-packages.

--
Regards,