Re: Packaging Amfora and dependencies

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 12:27:46PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> > Any ideas on why this is failing?
> > I did build Amfora from the v1.8.0 tag
> > in a fresh debian:unstable container with go1.15.9 and it didn't have
> > any errors.
>
> Yes,
> From my skimming through this one, it looks like the "item" var is of
> type "gofeed.Item" and when I check the README for the same here, I do
> not see any "Links" attribute here[1]
>
> This was strange, so I took a dab at go.mod, and this is what I found
>
> $ grep gofeed go.mod
> 	github.com/mmcdole/gofeed v1.1.0
> replace github.com/mmcdole/gofeed => github.com/makeworld-the-better-one/gofeed v1.1.1-0.20201123002655-c0c6354134fe

Interesting, I didn't see this before and it is a bit confusing. Thank
you for helping point it out.

> i.e. it uses github.com/makeworld-the-better-one/gofeed instead of github.com/mmcdole/gofeed - the former is a "fork" of the latter.
> and the former has those "Links" attributes defined[2]
>
> Since we already have equivalent package of github.com/mmcdole/gofeed in
> the archive, packaging a fork would honestly be suboptimal and I doubt
> if it is going to be acceptable.
>
> The best solution - according to me would be to simply merge the changes
> from the fork to the real upstream so we can move ahead w/o hassle.

It seems that there already PRs for both these repos in-flight, but
are stale for a few months. I'll ping makeworld on them to see if they
can nudge them and get them merged.

https://github.com/schollz/progressbar/pull/69
https://github.com/mmcdole/gofeed/pull/164

--