Re: Packaging Amfora and dependencies

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 04:12:03PM -0700, Micheal Waltz wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 10:36:02PM -0700, Micheal Waltz wrote:
> > Debian Go Packaging Team,
> >
> > I've been working on a few new packages for Gemini
> > (https://gemini.circumlunar.space); Bombadillo and Amfora, which
> > are both terminal based browsers written in Go.
> >

> Thank you Nilesh for working with me on getting all of these packages
> built and uploaded.

:-)

> Now that all the dependencies are on their way into unstable I've come
> back to packaging Amfora.
>
> Two things I've encountered if you could please help me.
>
> First is I missed the dependency, go-isemoji. Following packaging
> guidelines to the other deps, it's in Salsa and mentors if you could
> please review and sponsor.
>
> Salsa repo: https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-makeworld-the-better-one-go-isemoji/-/tree/master
> Mentors: https://mentors.debian.net/package/golang-github-makeworld-the-better-one-go-isemoji/
> ITP: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=986687

Uploaded, thanks for your work on this

> Let me know if you'd like me to file a RFS as well.

No need.

> Second is building Amfora with the --extra-packages and the new deps in unstable.
> However it's failing to build with an undefined error.
>
> Everything is up-to-date on Salsa,
> https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/amfora
>
> Build command:
>
> gbp buildpackage --git-ignore-new --git-builder=sbuild -A -v --source -d unstable --extra-package ~/debian/cbind/golang-code.rocketnine-tslocum-cbind-dev_0.1.5-1_all.deb --extra-package ~/debian/cview/golang-code.rocketnine-tslocum-cview-dev_1.5.4-1_all.deb --extra-package ~/debian/go-isemoji/golang-github-makeworld-the-better-one-go-isemoji-dev_1.1.0-1_all.deb

[..]
> Any ideas on why this is failing?
> I did build Amfora from the v1.8.0 tag
> in a fresh debian:unstable container with go1.15.9 and it didn't have
> any errors.

Yes,
From my skimming through this one, it looks like the "item" var is of
type "gofeed.Item" and when I check the README for the same here, I do
not see any "Links" attribute here[1]

This was strange, so I took a dab at go.mod, and this is what I found

$ grep gofeed go.mod
	github.com/mmcdole/gofeed v1.1.0
replace github.com/mmcdole/gofeed => github.com/makeworld-the-better-one/gofeed v1.1.1-0.20201123002655-c0c6354134fe

i.e. it uses github.com/makeworld-the-better-one/gofeed instead of github.com/mmcdole/gofeed - the former is a "fork" of the latter.
and the former has those "Links" attributes defined[2]

Since we already have equivalent package of github.com/mmcdole/gofeed in
the archive, packaging a fork would honestly be suboptimal and I doubt
if it is going to be acceptable.

The best solution - according to me would be to simply merge the changes
from the fork to the real upstream so we can move ahead w/o hassle.

In _worst_ case, we can maintain these changes in our package golang-github-mmcdole-gofeed
Hopefully its maintainer would be OK with that.

> Maybe because the patch is using slightly newer versions of cview/cbind
> than what 1.8.0 had? Although this failure is in subscriptions/entries.go
> which doesn't have any godeps for cview/cbind that I can tell and seems
> like an unrelated error.

Yes, cview does not trigger this, it's a display module and
nothing to do with subscriptions

[1]: https://github.com/mmcdole/gofeed#default-mappings
[2]: https://github.com/makeworld-the-better-one/gofeed/commit/fbe780a30537a55756cf9e5db4e3313afceba6be