Re: upgrading golang packages (swift, google-api)

On 2019-07-23 15:55, Arnaud Rebillout wrote:

In my experience with Go packaging, it works best to bump libraries to
the minimum version required, rather than to the latest version
available. Because we can have only one version of a library at a time,
and the latest bleeding edge might work for ONE package but breaks TEN
others, while sticking to something a bit older might work for everyone.

If google api v0.1.0 works for you, then maybe there's no rush to bump
it to v0.7.0?

That's a reasonable approach, to just push the minimum version. We just need api 0.1.0 to cover rclone 1.47. After that, we'll only need api 0.3.2 to support rclone 1.48.

Shengjing Zhu wrote:

Just like when you want to bump so version, you need to rebuild and
check all the reverse dependencies.
I would recommend you to use ratt(1).

ratt is useful: it picked some some extra dependencies that apt-rdepends missed (Build-Dependencies I guess, since apt-rdepends -rb is not supported).

But the packages it found were cadvisor and kubernetes (using golang-github-abbot-go-http-auth), which both have their own build problems so they're already kicked out of testing. They won't hold up upgrades.

Drew