Re: libc6-dbg

At Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:17:54 -0700,
Jeff Bailey wrote:

> > > It's good idea for me.  I don't know we can use DWARF2 level3 on all
> > > architectures, though.
> > >
> > > Daniel, how about adding this option?  If it's easy to add simply this
> > > option, I welcome to use it.
> >
> > Sorry, I missed this message.
>
> I've wondered a few times why we provide debugging and profiling
> libraries for glibc anyway.  They're not intended for mortals to use. ;)

Yeah, the current -dbg is packaged as package-per-base, and it's
purpose is vague.  But I still think -dbg package is useful for
developers.  Sometimes users doubt glibc behavior even if their
program is broken.  In that case they can easily find what has
happened and what the problem is.  Moreover we have a lot of
developers in debian project.  They can also track down the problem
using debug packages.

BTW, Fedora Core provides interesting framework; debuginfo rpm
packages.  It automatically generates debug information package.

	http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/debug/

Regards,
-- gotom