Re: scsi include files and cdrecord

At Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:50:18 +0200,
Bernd Schubert wrote:
> there's currently a discussion about compiling the cdrtools started from Joerg
> Schilling in a german newsgroup (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.brenner). Well,
> Joerg suggested that one should modify some linux-scsi-include files to be
> able to compile the cdrtools.
>
> A quick apt search showed me that the same files are also provided by
> libc-dev, so I suggested Joerg that it might be better to use those files
> instead. Joerg answered that those files might be outdated and that its
> better to use the values from the current kernel. So I went ahead and
> compared the files and somehow I think he's right, some values really differ.
>
> However, if those values change from time to time, shouldn't they provided by
> the libc-kernel-headers package in that case? For example, the kernel-headers
> provided from Mariusz Mazur(http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/) have the
> correct values.

Correct.  It's outdated, and It should be updated.  It's SCSI-2
definitions, but nowadays the newer SCSI-3 features should be put in
it.  In kernel 2.5, scsi headers were accelerated to clean up and to
be updated by several scsi guys.

I don't know why glibc should have scsi/ headers.  It's linux kernel
related things (like sg.h).  It's also net/ and so on.  Who do you
know about this kind of issues?  I'll investigate it and try to update
for whether glibc or linux-kernel-headers.

Regards,
-- gotom