Re: Using optional components in packages

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 04:57:10PM +0100, Jochen Topf wrote:
In theory it's possible to build it twice, and provide both executables
via the alternatives system allowing the users to choose.

But that's not something I'm willing to support.

If have the time a resources available to actively maintain the
osm2pgsql package in Debian (including handling bugreports) you're
welcome to make this change. If I don't have to support it, my objection
to luajit in its current state is moot.

Fair enough.

Incidentally, current luajit in main does not distribute a -dev package or
even any headers/*.so. That could be an oversight or not. The luajit maintainer should be taken in the loop to understand if that is viable, before any other action.
Note that the interpreter is compatible at API/ABI level
with the ordinary Lua 5.1 interpreter, but if osm2pgsql chooses to explicitly build in different way the inners are probably different, and could be officially exposed or not, or even stable or not. Finally, a check with
osm2pgsql upstream is mandatory, the support for luajit could also be
dropped in the near future, wouldn't be the first time...

Just my 2 cents.