Re: SAGA 2.2.7

Hi Johan,

On 04/29/2016 04:03 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> The addition of GPL-3+ code is problematic, because the bulk of SAGA is
>> distributed under the GPL-2 (v2 only) which is incompatible with the
>> GPL-3+. [2] This caused a rejection of QGIS in the past. [3] The GPL-3+
>> code needs to be relicensed upstream to GPL-2+ to be compatible with the
>> GPL-2 code in SAGA.
>>
>> I've pushed some changes for the above, except the license issue. I've
>> raised the issue your upstream bugreport [4], a new issue may be more
>> appropriate. What do you think?
>
> As a short term solution: I suggest we remove the library from that module.
> I'm wondering if we should repackage or if we just omit the file from
> the build (explaining it in d/copyright) and keep the file.

Distribution of the combined source is already problematic, making
repacking the upstream tarball to exclude the GPL-3+ files the
recommended solution.

Because the problematic file is under
src/modules/imagery/imagery_classification/ and not the
src/saga_core/saga_{api,gdi}/ LGPL-2.1 subtrees, it's not clear that the
module is only used by the API. Combining GPL-3+ and LGPL-2.1 is indeed
not a problem, only combining GPL-3+ and GPL-2 (v2 only) is not possible
due to the license incompatibility.

We can upload the package as-is, and wait for the FTP master review. If
they reject the upload, we can then exclude cluster_isodata.cpp for the
upstream tarball and build.

Do you want to upload now and wait for the FTP master review?