Re: Update to Osmium packages

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 05:11:26PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 19-08-15 16:24, Jochen Topf wrote:
> >>
> >> All of them may be needed, so I've added them all. Installing
> >> libosmium2-dev will get you the headers for everything it can use. Since
> >> it's a header-only library the package built with it will still only
> >> depend on the libraries it actually uses.
> >>
> >> I've fixed the missing dependencies because osmcoastline failed to build
> >> due to missing boost iterator headers. We haven't hit the other cases
> >> yet, or those were pull in by other build dependencies already.
> >>
> >> Because the buildds don't install Recommends by default, so only using
> >> Depends is a better option.
> >
> > Do we want to force users to get all those packages they might not need?
> > There are some huge dependencies like GDAL and GEOS which many people will
> > not need otherwise.
> >
> > And the missing dependency for osmcoastline is easily solved by adding it
> > to osmcoastline.
> >
> > Maybe we should take out GDAL and GEOS and leave the rest in. For the other
> > libraries it can happen that you are calling libosmium functions and it
> > decides "behind the scenes" that it needs those libraries. But if you are
> > using the GDAL or GEOS functions in libosmium you will also have GDAL or
> > GEOS code in your application. This is not something that can happen "by
> > accident". On the other hand, you *will* need to add to add any of those
> > libraries to the build configuration of your application, so there is no
> > way you are not going to be aware of it anyway.
>
> We can probably drop the gdal, geos, proj & sparsehash dependencies from
> libosmium2-dev, but it looks like Boost Interator has been upgraded from
> an extra to important dependency in libosmium 2.3.0.
>
> Or does the libboost-dev build dependency really belong in osmcoastline
> despite it not using it directly?

You are right, the boost dependency is important now. And not a big deal,
because I expect everybody writing C++ programs to have boost anyway.

I think this is a good solution we have now after removing those libs. Thanks!

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688