Re: Update to Osmium packages

On 19-08-15 16:24, Jochen Topf wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:20:56PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 18-08-15 21:13, Jochen Topf wrote:
>>> I saw you added Depends: on a lot of -dev packages. I think those should only
>>> be Recommends: or so, because to use libosmium you don't need them all, just
>>> the ones you need for whatever parts of the library you use. We could further
>>> split those up into the ones you need most often and those you only need for
>>> special cases. See
>>> https://github.com/osmcode/libosmium/wiki/Libosmium-dependencies
>>
>> All of them may be needed, so I've added them all. Installing
>> libosmium2-dev will get you the headers for everything it can use. Since
>> it's a header-only library the package built with it will still only
>> depend on the libraries it actually uses.
>>
>> I've fixed the missing dependencies because osmcoastline failed to build
>> due to missing boost iterator headers. We haven't hit the other cases
>> yet, or those were pull in by other build dependencies already.
>>
>> Because the buildds don't install Recommends by default, so only using
>> Depends is a better option.
>
> Do we want to force users to get all those packages they might not need?
> There are some huge dependencies like GDAL and GEOS which many people will
> not need otherwise.
>
> And the missing dependency for osmcoastline is easily solved by adding it
> to osmcoastline.
>
> Maybe we should take out GDAL and GEOS and leave the rest in. For the other
> libraries it can happen that you are calling libosmium functions and it
> decides "behind the scenes" that it needs those libraries. But if you are
> using the GDAL or GEOS functions in libosmium you will also have GDAL or
> GEOS code in your application. This is not something that can happen "by
> accident". On the other hand, you *will* need to add to add any of those
> libraries to the build configuration of your application, so there is no
> way you are not going to be aware of it anyway.

We can probably drop the gdal, geos, proj & sparsehash dependencies from
libosmium2-dev, but it looks like Boost Interator has been upgraded from
an extra to important dependency in libosmium 2.3.0.

Or does the libboost-dev build dependency really belong in osmcoastline
despite it not using it directly?

Kind Regards,

Bas

--