Re: Fwd: Schedule information for 211 - Debian GIS BoF

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@fam-tille.de> wrote:

> Feel free to suggest items for the agenda.
If I'd be at debconf, my nr 1 thing would be trying to get some move
in the whole discussion about OGC licensing. OGC has been willing to
change their license, but got no feedback at all from the FTP-masters.
This is not really something to discuss, but should be brought to the
attention of the right people. Any consensus we reach may also be a
useful example to W3C so this discussion is useful outside our team.
See eg: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/OGC-XML-schemas-and-FOSS4G-software-distribution-td5186023.html

QGis: we somehow decided to stick to the LTS releases [2]. This is
something where we will certainly get a difference with
ubuntugis/osgeolive.
I think the choice LTS/recent release deserves a discussion. If people
ask for recent versions of gdal, they could then be pointed towards
the discussion.

How to take such a decision is perhaps one of the most interesting
things to discuss. This applies equally to eg whether we should switch
to GRASS7. Without getting too bureaucratic, having a vote like many
OSGeo projects do may be a good way.
This is eg from the postgis site:
"
Proposals must be available for review for at least two business days
before a decision can be made.
Respondents may vote “+1” to indicate support for the proposal and a
willingness to support implementation.
Respondents may vote “-1” to veto a proposal, but must provide clear
reasoning and alternate approaches to resolving the problem within the
two days.
A vote of -0 indicates mild disagreement, but has no effect. A 0
indicates no opinion. A +0 indicate mild support, but has no effect.
"

[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2015/05/msg00015.html
[3] https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/RFC/RFC-1