Re: Backports for jessie

On 05/05/2015 09:55 AM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg
> <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Which packages would you like to have in jessie-backports?
>
> QGis (already in your list) seems a good choice since 2.8.x is the
> release which will get updates in the future.

For QGIS I'm tempted to create a qgis-ltr source package to track the
QGIS Long Term Releases to benefit stable users mostly.

In testing/unstable we'll still want to track the normal QGIS releases
to get new features sooner than the next LTR (I'm thinking about GRASS 7
support specifically), and to provide fixes for the upstream packaging
to benefit the wider QGIS community who tend to use the upstream
packages (I hope my official backports will reduce the need for the
upstream packages).

On the other hand I'm not to fond of having two qgis packages in the
archive, and I suspect neither is the Release Team. So it may be better
to stick to the LTR releases in Debian and not worry about the upstream
packaging and non-LTR releases. This will mean that it will take a while
before we can move GRASS 7 to unstable.

> Saga should be straightforward to backport as well, and people have
> asked for backports in the past (in fact a backport to wheezy would be
> even more useful as saga was not part of wheezy). It may be worthwile
> to have qgis in backports first: people using the processing plugin
> from qgis 2.4 may have problems using the last version of saga.
> I'll try creating a package and put it on debian-mentors.

I'm currently not considering backports that require rebuilds of reverse
dependencies (so no GDAL, GEOS, libLAS, etc).

It should be possible to have the reverse dependencies in backports too,
but I strongly prefer not to do transitions in stable/backports.

Since saga doesn't have reverse dependencies, it indeed looks like a
straightforward backport.