Re: osmosis: dependency upgraded

On 03/03/2015 09:45 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 03/03/2015 08:54 PM, Felix Natter wrote:
>> Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> writes:
>>
>>> I verified that libwoodstox-java 4.1.3 compiles with the new
>>> knopflerfish, but OSGi problems may manifest at runtime,
>>> so I would like to verify whether libwoodstox-java still works
>>> by testing osmosis.
>>>
>>> osmosis 0.43.1-2 compiles with the new libwoodstox-java (which is
>>> expected, because its interface hasn't changed), but how can I check
>>> whether the (XML)functionality from libwoodstox-java still works?
>>
>> One more thing: As Giovanni Mascellani mentioned on d-java:
>> osmosis only *build*-depends on libwoodstox-java so maybe
>> this is an error and it is not required?
>
> The libwoodstox-java dependency may not be strictly required, it was
> dropped from the package in 0.40.1+ds1-2 by Giovanni.
>
> I hadn't noticed that changelog entry when I updated the package and
> added the build dependencies listed in gradle.properties.
>
> It seems those are dependencies specified upstream are highly outdated.
>>From the looks of it, woodstox and stax were used for XML support in
> Java 5. osmosis currently requires at least Java 6 which includes stax
> in the JDK. But the osmosis code now uses javax.xml for its SAX parsing
> needs.
>
> I'll update the dependencies in the package and will ask upstream to do
> the same for osmosis itself.

Having looked a bit more into this, I see that my earlier assessment is
probably wrong.

So I'll leave the dependency as-is for now.

To test whether the XML functionality in osmosis still works, you can
let osmosis convert an OSM PBF file to XML and vice versa. For test data
I suggest the Liechtenstein OSM data from GeoFabrik:

http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/liechtenstein.html

Convert the PBF to XML, and the XML to another PBF. Convert the new PBF
to another XML file and compare both PBF & OSM files:

osmosis -v 9 --read-pbf file=liechtenstein-latest.osm.pbf \
             --write-xml file=liechtenstein-latest.osm

osmosis -v 9 --read-xml file=liechtenstein-latest.osm \
             --write-xml file=liechtenstein-latest.osm.pbf2

osmosis -v 9 --read-pbf file=liechtenstein-latest.osm.pbf2 \
             --write-xml file=liechtenstein-latest.osm2