Re: installing from debian-gis on LMDE (MATE)

On 08/19/2014 11:52 AM, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> This is what I get from the linuxmint list:
>
> Question
> "Hi!
> I've been advised in debian-gis list to include
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> for packages like qgis, But also have been warned about possible
> conflicts with repos that are
> included in LMDE by default:
> .../...
> What should I do?"
>
> Answer
> "Add debian repo, install qgis or whatever you want, remove debian repo."
>
> Link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=176066&p=909945#p909945

If you want to get QGIS on LMDE that should get you there, but it's not
very good advice.

Installing QGIS from the Debian repo will pull in a lot of dependencies
that are outdated in LMDE, and none of them will be updated after you
remove the Debian repo.

For something that claims to be a "semi-rolling distribution" their
testing snapshot is hopelessly outdated. Switching to Debian testing
proper is claimed to be supported:

"
Updates are constantly fed to Debian Testing, where users experience
frequent regressions but also frequent bug fixes and improvements. LMDE
receives "Update Packs" which are tested snapshots of Debian Testing.
Users can experience a more stable system thanks to update packs, or
switch their sources to follow Testing, or even Unstable, directly to
get more frequent updates.
"

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

> Bas:
> Do you mean I should unselect the 3 repos you mention?
> Which ones should I include instead?
> Kind of worried by your answer.

If you want to switch to Debian testing proper, you should disable the
Linux Mint specific repos and add the Debian testing and
testing-security repos.

If you only want QGIS from Debian you should follow the advice as given:
add the Debian repo, install qgis, remove debian repo.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/E88D4AF1