Re: installing from debian-gis on LMDE (MATE)

On 08/14/2014 09:36 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess Sebastiaan had something like
>
>   deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>
> in mind.  Sorry, this is a Debian list and no linuxmint list and we do
> not really know what is provided by linuxmint neither do we have any
> influence what linuxmint will provide at their mirrors.
>
> Disclaimer: We do not have any idea whether it is a sensible way to mix
> linuxmint and pristine Debian packages.  You probably need to fiddle
> around with apt_preferences(5) to make sure you will only install those
> Debian packages you explicitly want to have.  Most probably you will
> find advise about mixing Debian and linuxmint on a linuxmint related
> forum.  We are *not* the experts in this field.
>
> Hope this helps
>
>        Andreas.

According to the Linux Mint website, it should be fully compatible with
Debian testing:

"
Is LMDE fully compatible with Debian?

Yes, 100%. LMDE is compatible with repositories designed for Debian Testing.
"

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

You should find qgis 2.2.0-1 in Debian testing. If you need qgis 2.4.0
and cannot wait until it makes its way to Debian testing from
experimental where it currently resides, you'll need to use the qgis
upstream apt repository.

I'm not a fan of using 3rd party repositories, because those
repositories are not integrated with each other. So I recommend to stick
to the packages in the Debian repositories.

 GPG Key ID: 4096R/E88D4AF1