Re: OpenJUMP

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 05:16:44PM -0800, Hamish wrote:
> Andreas wrote:
> > We are observing similar problems in the Debian Med team.  However, I
> > might add the remark that you sometimes can get considerable help by the
> > Debian Java team.  So I would not really object your opinion here but it
> > is worth considering Java stuff on a case by case basis.
>
> one issue is that many of the java gis packages currently depend on the
> perhaps DFSG problematic Sun JAI library.

There's not a perhaps there, it is surely not DFSG-compatible.

I also find unacceptable that so many projects embeds jar blobs taken
at whatever moment from the original repositories and without
any minimal version tracking. This is neither sane nor safe for us,
this is GNU/Linux not Windows.

Also, so many java projects simply does not
care of their licenses and distribute their software in practice
as free-as-beer products (try finding theri sources, it is often
a challenge). Their respect of other projects, users
and other developers is near to zero. So, I do not care of them
as well.

> actually this link says parts of it are BSD, but AFAIR that's not what the
> click-through license says.  https://jai-imageio-core.dev.java.net/
>
> ?? <walks away, confused>
>
> > PS: Have you noted the Debian GIS mentioning in the Release Notes? :-)
>
> yes! :)

Sorry, I have the bad habit of not reading release notes at all :-/

--
Francesco P. Lovergine