[DebianGIS] R: Re: Specific packages for SAR and earth observation

Hi Francesco,

"antonio.valentino@tiscali.it"<antonio.valentino@tiscali.it>, <pkg-
grass-general@lists.alioth.debian.org>

24AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> In the case
>> of doris the web
page says "free for non-commercial use" and your
>> copyright says
GPL3.  I have not checked what is actually correct but I
>> left the
more conservative non-free.  Feel free to correct me if you are
>> sure
about this and copyright statement is clear.  I have not checked the

license for getorb just to safe time.

>At the time of my check, doris
had a non-free license even if it used
>fftw (GPL) so was
undistributable. I contacted the original author
>(now working
elsewhere) who reported the thing to the university.
>That was a few
years ago. Maybe something changed, maybe not.

Now the package
includes a COPYNG file (in the src sub-folder) containing the text of
the GPL v.2 license.
The header of source code files also  states that
the software is under the GNU/GPL license v.2.

In the home page
(conditions), instead, it is specified that the SW is for non
commercial use only and also it is there is a note about  re-
distribution:

"# Doris is a scientific-purpose software and cannot be
commercialized, nor can parts or products of it be commercialized.
Parties interested in using Doris or its products for any commercial
purposes are requested to contact Dr. Ramon Hanssen of DEOS
# Our
version of the software is the only official one. Please do not
distribute the Doris software to third parties, instead refer to the
Doris home page. This in order to guarantee uniformity in the
distribution of updates and information. "

I' don't know which is the
correct interpretation of the last point that seems to be in contrast
with the GPL philosophy.

I tried to contact authors for a
clarification but didn't received any answer yet.

I would appreciate a
lot if you could re-check give me some hints.

P.S.
Francesco I have
serious problems posting messages on this list from my email client: I
always receive notifications of delivery failures.
Posting from the web
client seems to work instead.
You are indicated as the list owner so
please can you help me with this problem?

Thanks

--
Antonio
Valentino

Supera i limiti: raddoppia la velocità da 10 a 20 Mega!

Risparmia con Tutto Incluso: telefono + adsl 20 mega a soli 29,95 € al mese per due anni!

SCONTO DI 240 EURO!

http://abbonati.tiscali.it/telefono-adsl/prodotti/tc/tuttoincluso/?WT.mc_id=01fw