Re: [DebianGIS] Ping: Changes in Debian GIS Blend stuff

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Other question: Does anybody see a reason to NOT release a set of
> metapackages with the gis stuff as it is prepared now?  So if nobody
> will insist I might consider just releasing version 0.1 of debian-gis to
> have a chance to get it right into Squeeze.
>
> As I said: Every input of GIS experts is helpful but I would even now
> consider the existing stuff as helpful for GIS users and thus I do not
> see any reason not to proceed.  This might lead to mentioning Debian GIS
> in the Squeeze release notes - exactly the place where I want to see
> it placed and which might bring new users + developers to the project.
I would not release in the current form. Imho some programs get too
much focus, others are not clear enough.
Some suggested changes:
Devel:
I'm not sure if this category is really needed. Anyway if it remains I
would add add libgdal-dev + libshp-dev;

Statistics:
The most important spatial R packages are currently not part of
debian: sp (all recent others rely on this), rgdal, gstat
I would remove this category until these are available

Tools:
Definitely add gdal-bin

Workstation:
remove drawmap, openjump, s3d (too few users)
move E00compr, gpsmanshp, ogdi to 'tools'
add ossim, saga

I'm also not really convinced about splitting tools and workstation.
Adding full gis programs (grass, qgis, saga) to workstation seems
logical, but is postgis a tool or part of the workstation?