Re: [DebianGIS] Ping: Changes in Debian GIS Blend stuff

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 04:25:18PM +0200, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> I would not release in the current form.

Fine.  Lets enhance the current form.  Isn't it this what I was asking
for because I'm no GIS expert?

> Imho some programs get too
> much focus, others are not clear enough.
> Some suggested changes:
> Devel:
> I'm not sure if this category is really needed.

It's surely debatable, but we made some good experiences in other Blends.

> Anyway if it remains I
> would add add libgdal-dev + libshp-dev;

Just added for the moment.

> Statistics:
> The most important spatial R packages are currently not part of
> debian: sp

Wrong.  We have r-cran-sp and the fact that people on this list do not
know about it proves my point that we do need better organisation and
communication.  I'm maintaining this package as a predepends of some
epidemiological packages in the scope of Debian Science.  It would
better fit in a Debian GIS team.

> (all recent others rely on this), rgdal, gstat
> I would remove this category until these are available

I'd add these as so called prospective packages[1] to show that we intent
to work on this.

> Tools:
> Definitely add gdal-bin

Done.

> Workstation:
> remove drawmap, openjump, s3d (too few users)

I lowered these to Suggests.  IMHO this expresses the act that while these are
GIS applications in Debian they are not important.  We might consider to remove
them completely from Debian if this sounds reasonable.

> move E00compr, gpsmanshp, ogdi to 'tools'
> add ossim, saga

Done.

> I'm also not really convinced about splitting tools and workstation.

I'm perfectly fine with joining these.  It was a suggestion which
*should* be revised by experts.  Just ask me to do so and they are joined
in the next update.

> Adding full gis programs (grass, qgis, saga) to workstation seems
> logical, but is postgis a tool or part of the workstation?

I have no idea - just lurking here to find this out.

I have done the needed changes in

   svn://svn.debian.org/blends/projects/gis/trunk/tasks

and as I said, if somebody here is willing to maintain those tasks files
in the pkg-grass SVN I'll move it back here.  Just state clearly: Yes, please
remove the old stuff at this place by your updated version and I will revert
my move to the Blends SVN.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ch-sentinel.en.html#s-packageslist