Re: [DebianGIS] OpenDAP license is LGPL

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 04:04:53AM -0700, Hamish wrote:
> > On the basis of upstream sources, OpenDAP is released under
> > LGPL-2.1 not the 'viral' GPL as stated in debian/copyright.
>

> Please, because the GPL is only ever entered into with the
> developer's conscious choice, the word "viral" is inaccurate and
> (to me) rather insulting. You decide if you want to invite it in
> or not, no one is forcing you to use it or sneaking it into your
> code behind your back.
>
> the phrase is intentionally negative and misleading propaganda.
> please don't propagate it.

It was not intended as so. It was a short form for a whole
sentence about the requirement to use the same license for derived
works whenever you use GPL licensed libraries. If you could provide
a single word to intend the same thing in english, please let me know.
Note also the use of  ticks around the word. I'm not interested in
embracing holy wars about licenses. But I was interested in not changing
upstreams choices.

Anyway in the specific case of OpenDAP, Alastair agreed about
re-establishing the right (i.e. as selected by upstream) license.