Re: [DebianGIS] TileCache 2.0 debian packaging

On Dec 28, 2007 10:51 PM, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt@metacarta.com> wrote:

> > This means you produced a Debian native package, which is meant for
> > software that is specific to debian (like apt/dpkg and other similar
> > things):
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-sourcelayout
>
> I don't see anything that indicates that this is meant for software that
> is specific to debian...

Hmm, true. I can't find where I learnt that native packages are meant
for debian-specific software, I guess it must have been from mailing
list discussions over the years.

> > There is a flamewar going on about native packages and when to use them:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/12/thrd2.html#00628
>
> Okay, I'm convinced that they common feeling through that thread is that
> this is going to be the 'way to go' going forward. Also, I had another
> debian developer point out that there was no reason for TileCache to be
> in contrib, so I pulled 'contrib' out of the section, and bumped the
> version with debchange. So, the package is uploaded as 2.01-2 now:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tilecache/

Woops, I should have caught the contrib thing.

When I downloaded this package (with dget -x), I got this error message:

dpkg-source: error: file tilecache_2.01.orig.tar.gz has size 45766
instead of expected 45765

After hacking the .dsc to add the right size/md5sum, it unpacked fine.

I downloaded the 2.01 tarball from tilecache.org and the md5sum is
different to both the md5sum in the dsc and the md5sum of the
.orig.tar.gz on mentors.

Did you upload a pre-release to mentors or something?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise