Re: [DebianGIS] Re: Mapserver?

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 00:22 +0200, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 10/10/2006 alle 10.34 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen ha
> scritto:
> > The freeze of Debian/Etch is planned for 2006-10-18.  This mean any
> > upload intended for Etch should have been uploaded 2006-10-08 (last
> > Sunday) to make it to Etch after the customary 10 day resting period
> > in unstable.
>
> The freeze date is unrealistic, and it will be delayed at least by one
> week according to the RMs.
>
> > There are still a few days left until the priority 'medium' upload
> > deadline, and even a few days left for the priority 'high' upload
> > deadline, but I doubt any major upgrade or transition can happen now.
>
> Is the geos a major upgrade or transition? we have a few packages
> depending on it.

4.10 has been converted to use geos' c api. The c api is new with the
current geos version in debian and mapserver will be the first thing to
depend on it. The changes for geos 2.2.2(2.2.3 looks like nothing much)
are:

Is there any pending issue before we release GEOS-2.2.2 ?

Changes since 2.2.1 are:

- Added GEOSArea(), GEOSLength(), GEOSEnvelope(), and GEOSGeomType() to
the
  C API
- Cleanups in C-API
- Support for gcc-4
- Fixed Polygon::equalsExact
- Improved XMLTester
- Fixed bug in NULL-factory Geometry constructor
- Cleanups in SWIG wrappers
- New Ruby bindings
- Enumerated SweepLineEvent's DELETE and INSERT labels
  renamed to DELETE_EVENT and INSERT_EVENT.

It will ship with C-API version 1.1.0
</end>

Does this new C-API version require a soname bump? I think there are
enough big changes here that we should tread very carefully. I'm not
comfortable with making the transition at this point.

Steve