Re: [DebianGIS] Re: libecw status

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:19:39AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Paolo Cavallini]
> > Just an user comment: the plugin would be extremely useful,
> > especially in a professional environment, so if there is any chance,
> > please distribute it.  Otherwise we'll be forced to compile gdal.
>
> If it is that important, perhaps someone should rewrite it as free
> software, so we can distribute it in debian/main?  It is a pain to
> work with non-free software.
>
> I have no idea how hard that would be.

Unfortunately there are patents pending on DWT and jpeg2000, with or
without the use of that library. If someone
would do that (s)he probably would get big personal problems...
Those high compression techniques are damn useful (and used)
in real life and archives and are a significant part of
the owner's assets.