[DebianGIS] Re: mapserver packaging & stuff

[Paul Wise]
>>> What do people think our strategy wrt 4.6.2 / 4.8.1 should be? Put
>>> 4.8.1 into experimental (possibly going thru NEW for new
>>> bindings/packages), then upload to sid once 4.6.2 is in etch? Or
>>> just put 4.8.1 straight in sid?
>>
>> 4.8.1 straight to sid!
>>
>> Well, I don't really know the implications of this.  I'm just
>> always for the latest and greatest and forget the rest.
>
> This far away from the etch release, I'm inclined to agree.

Considering that only 0.31% of the Debian population is using
mapserver, <URL:http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?popcon=mapserver>,
I agree that we should just push the new version into unstable. :)

Do we want 4.6.2 or 4.8.1 included in etch?  I suspect we want 4.8.1,
and then it is just a waste of time to wait for 4.6.2 to enter
testing.

As for new language bindings, I suspect we should submit wishlist bugs
to request the new bindings, and ask people in need of these bindings
to send a "me too" message to BTS if they want the bindings, and only
provide the bindings we get requests for.