[DebianGIS] mapserver packaging & stuff

Hi all,

Firstly 4.6.2 got hit by the gdal/netcdf brokenness on a lot of
architectures. I've contacted vorlon, who initiated rebuilds:

<vorlon> nominally, you contact the buildd admins
<vorlon> in this case, I conveniently poke at things because I'm waiting
on mapserver for a security-fixing php5

Secondly, for it to migrate to testing, the gdal mipsel FTBFS bug
(#351372) needs fixing (I've forwarded it upstream), and for someone
with access to a mipsel for testing/etc it should be easy to fix.

I've been looking at mapserver 4.8.1 and the current packaging. Doesn't
look like it will be much effort to add the new version (it should be in
experimental until 4.6.2 goes into etch tho).

About mapserver packaging, there are some parts of the upstream source
that are not put in any debian packages. Does anyone think we should add
these? It would mean another trip through NEW though.

mapscript bindings: C#, Java, Ruby, TCL
mapscript docs (source format is restructured text - python-docutils)

Which files go in which packages needs to be worked out too - does the
mapserver-doc package get mapscript docs too, or do we split them? Do
examples for the bindings go in a -doc package, or shipped with the
individual bindings packages? There are also binding-specific docs,
where should these go?

Also, the debian/copyright file needs a revamp, not all of the mapserver
src is copyright University of Minnesota (copyright years need
updating). I'll try and do this with the 4.8.1 upload. It will look
something like the debian/copyright file for nsis.

Also, the mapserver source includes a bunch of tests for the different
mapscript bindings, and something for mapserver itself. We should be
running these during the build process to catch any portability bugs.
I'll try to integrate these too.

What do people think our strategy wrt 4.6.2 / 4.8.1 should be? Put 4.8.1
into experimental (possibly going thru NEW for new bindings/packages),
then upload to sid once 4.6.2 is in etch? Or just put 4.8.1 straight in
sid?

--
bye,
pabs