Re: [DebianGIS] mapserver packaging & stuff

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 08:32 -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> > Secondly, for it to migrate to testing, the gdal mipsel FTBFS bug
> > (#351372) needs fixing (I've forwarded it upstream), and for someone
> > with access to a mipsel for testing/etc it should be easy to fix.
>
> Cees has fixed this very promptly!

Yeah, I saw! Bloody good.

> > mapscript bindings: C#, Java, Ruby, TCL
> > mapscript docs (source format is restructured text - python-docutils)
>
> I don't think these bindings are that pressing if you have Python
> and PHP already (perhaps perl too?)

Yep, php/perl/python are in. Perhaps these can wait until they are
requested by users. As for the docs, I recon just dump em in
mapserver-doc.

> > Also, the mapserver source includes a bunch of tests for the different
> > mapscript bindings, and something for mapserver itself. We should be
> > running these during the build process to catch any portability bugs.
> > I'll try to integrate these too.
>
> Some of the tests (well msautotest at least, maybe not sean's
> python unit tests) are pretty fragile, so you likely don't want them
> in the build process.  But they should be at least used to validate
> the produced package on handy platforms.

Noted.

> > What do people think our strategy wrt 4.6.2 / 4.8.1 should be? Put 4.8.1
> > into experimental (possibly going thru NEW for new bindings/packages),
> > then upload to sid once 4.6.2 is in etch? Or just put 4.8.1 straight in
> > sid?
>
> 4.8.1 straight to sid!
>
> Well, I don't really know the implications of this.  I'm just
> always for the latest and greatest and forget the rest.

This far away from the etch release, I'm inclined to agree.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise