Re: [Pkg-grass-general] Re: PostGIS and Java

Hi,

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Silke Reimer]

What exactly is reason for libpgjava to be in contrib? I had a quick
look at it and couldn't found neither dependency nor
build-dependency to be in contrib or non-free and the licence of
libpgjava seems to be free licence as well.

I would suggest asking on #debian-java, and see if anyone knows.  I
know there is an effort to improve the java support in Debian to a
point where most java packages in contrib can build and run using one
of the free java implementations, and thus get the java package into
debian/main.

libpgjava is in contrib because it needs non-free build environment. As
for all JDBC drivers there are different levels of the specification (JDBC 2/ JDBC 3).

You have to compile against different java environments to provide
the different JDBC level. So it is build-dep on jdk1.2 for JDBC 2
and jdk1.4 for JDBC 3.

Thats why it is in contrib and also a seperate source package than
the database.

And as it is in contrib and the postgis java library need the Postgresql
JDBC driver to compile the resulting postgis java library also has to
go into contrib.

See Java Policy Chapter 2.5 for explanation

So the postgis java library has to be an own source package or
postgis has also go to contrib.

You can get an overview of the problematic at the following page

http://java.debian.net/index.php/MovingJavaToMain

Wolfgang