Re: [Pkg-grass-general] Java GIS Software

Silke Reimer wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,

first of all thanks for your analyse. I am really excited about this
process since there are a lot of very good Java GIS tools around but
I still hesitate to recommand because of the Java trap. So if it is
really possible to 'liberate' at least some of those tools it would
be a great step.

Perhaps we should create a new section of even page on the
debian-gis wiki with this list together with the analyse whether it
is possible to compile and use them with free java. So everybody can
see the progress rather easily.

Wy not - I never used a wiki before. I will have a look and try
to set up a Java GIS wiki page. But I am away over weekend so it
will take some time.

Looking at the dependencies I would prefere Deegree over Geoserver if it
can be build into different modules - as Silke said. Also Deegree supports far more OGC Services currently than Geoserver.

Oops, what I wanted to express is, that it is possible to switch off
the Oracle and/or ArcSDE support for compiling deegree. I am not
sure though whether it is possible to provide those as
'plugin'-modules later on.

Oh sorry I didn't want to express that either. I mean the same as you.
We suppress the compiling for that non-free stuff. But a good possiblity would be also to provide everything in the rules file (non-free stuff commented out) - so if anyone has the libraries installed can compile it from the source package ?

Anywhy: I agree that we should first focus on JTS and GeoTools and
then come to JUMP and deegree.
Of course I would like to have GeoServer into debian as well, and
UDIG (which will replace JUMP over midterm according to the
developers) ... but we should not take over too many tasks at the
same time.

Yes I know - but I followed the big problems on java list regarding
packaging eclipse. So before the main dependency will be in debian
(i mean eclipse 3.1) we can do nothing.

Wolfgang, I still offer to package the tools as long as you give me
advice how to compile them with free java tools. In this case you
should at least be co-maintainer of the package since you seem to
know a lot about the java side.

OK - I already achieved to build JTS with free tools - so it can
go into main. I will have to test some things, read the new maintainer
guide and have a look in some packaged java libraries how things are working.

I will get in contact with you / the list if I know more of the
dependencies etc. and it is time to start packaging.

Regards,

Wolfgang