Re: [Pkg-grass-general] gdal/grass -- need your comments

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 02:27:42PM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Silke Reimer wrote:
> >Some remarks to the current packages:
> >
> >- Frank, I renamed the gdal_GRASS-library to libgdal1grass since
> >  this reflects the way libraries are handled in debian. I hope this
> >  is OK. The second issue is, that we probably need to build a
> >  development package for gdalgrass to get the package into debian.
> >  But since we still have no grass 5.7 package in debian there is no
> >  need to hurry.
>
> Silke,
>
> Unfortunately, this will cause the grass driver plugin to not work
> properly.  The code scans the target directory looking for "gdal_*.so".
> Then after loading it, it looks for an entry point Register* based
> on the shared library name.  So, it is necessary to retain the
> exact name gdal_GRASS.so as things stands.
>
> I'm sorry this doesn't follow Debian conventions, but you should
> keep in mind this is really a "plugin" not a library that anyone
> could link against in a meaningful fashion.

OK. I think this is no real problem. Probably it is more the package
name than the file itself which should start with something like
lib...

I updated the package according to your comment and put in on our
FTP-server.

Many greetings,

	Silke

--