Re: [fonts-ibm-plex] switching from OTF to TTF

Quoting Paride Legovini (2019-01-24 14:23:45)
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote on 24/01/2019:
> > Quoting Paride Legovini (2019-01-24 13:59:41)

> >> By default it does, with the "slight" hinting setting.

> >> Packaging only one version (and consolidating the OTF fonts and the
> >> WOFF/WOFF2 fonts in a single package) was a deliberate choice: having
> >> multiple packages makes things more difficult to both the maintainer
> >> and the users, with very little advantages in most cases...
> >
> > Which difficulties more specifically do you envision, Paride?
>
> See Fabian's answer: it is not technically difficult (although managing
> a single binary package is simpler), but it is confusing for the users,
> which often do not find or end with what they actually want.

Fair enough - I simply asked because you wrote (as quoted above) that it
caused difficulties not only for users but also maintainers.

I agree that _when_ the user need to choose, it is cumbersome.

What I don't understand is _if_ we need to impose a choice on our users
at all.

Do Fontconfig explode when discovering OpenType and TrueType font with
same name?

...or do Fontconfig peraps simply provide both options, and those
(minor) applications needing one or the other differently than the
majority of applications silently work - whereas with your apporach of
"avoiding difficulties" you effectively make is _more_ difficult for
users to pick a certain font for use in a certain application?

I don't know.

Do you know for your specific case of fonts-ibm-plex?

Does anyone know, specifically and/or generally, for certain, involving
all of Debian up-to-date libraries and applications?

> > I noticed recently that some font packages provide both TrueType and
> > OpenType.  Would be quite interesting to understand what potential
> > breakage to look out for in such packages, or e.g. which version of
> > Fontconfig started to treat such scenario sensibly.
>
> Good question: I think packages should not install both TTF and OTF
> files for the same font. I'd consider it a bug.

Uhm, could you (or anyone) elaborate what you believe the bug is?

If in fact that is a bug, then please someone file bugreports against
these packages (after double-checking, of course):

fonts-ebgaramond-extra
fonts-fantasque-sans
fonts-font-awesome
fonts-ldco
fonts-play
fonts-prociono
fonts-yanone-kaffeesatz

I found above list with this one-liner on a Debian unstable system:

for f in $(apt-file search /usr/share/fonts/opentype | grep -Po '^[^:]+' | sort -u); do apt-file list $f | grep /usr/share/fonts/truetype; done | grep -Po '^[^:]+' | sort -u

...so there might be false positives of packages providing _some_ fonts
as TrueType but _others_ as OpenType, I guess.

 - Jonas