Re: [fonts-ibm-plex] switching from OTF to TTF

Quoting Paride Legovini (2019-01-24 13:59:41)
> Dave Crossland wrote on 24/01/2019:
> > Does Debian default settings on freetype/fontconfig now render ttf
> > hinting when available?
> >
> > If not, this may not make much difference in practice for most users
>
> By default it does, with the "slight" hinting setting.
>
> > I also am curious if it's possible to have both versions packaged;
> > perhaps that needs separate and conflicting packages...
>
> Packaging only one version (and consolidating the OTF fonts and the
> WOFF/WOFF2 fonts in a single package) was a deliberate choice: having
> multiple packages makes things more difficult to both the maintainer
> and the users, with very little advantages in most cases...

Which difficulties more specifically do you envision, Paride?

I noticed recently that some font packages provide both TrueType and
OpenType.  Would be quite interesting to understand what potential
breakage to look out for in such packages, or e.g. which version of
Fontconfig started to treat such scenario sensibly.

 - Jonas