Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] converting fontforge packaging repo to git (was: Re: fontforge: Crash on Expand Stroke)

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> [moving to pkg-fonts-devel for broader discussion]
<snip>

> How much history do we want to try to save?  I could do a pretty
> trivial/quick import of the current packaging directory into a branch on
> top of upstream's git master if we don't mind losing our packaging
> history.  So that's one option:
>
>  0) don't import debian-packaging history, and build a new packaging
> branch on top of upstream history.
>
> However, i think the packaging history is nice and occasionally
> instructive; it'd be nice to avoid losing it.
>
> To keep the history, i see two methods:
>
>  1) use git-svn to import the packaging history, and force-merge our
> current head with upstream git where it matches, leaving divergent (but
> co-existent) histories in the packaging repo.
>
>  2) find some way to merge the current debian packaging history on top
> of upstream's git, as branches descending from each upstream release tag.
>
> 0 is probably the quickest way to move to git;  1 i understand how to do
> and would probably take a couple hours to get set up and published.  2
> seems like the best from a data and history integrity perspective, but
> (a) i don't know how to do it off the top of my head besides some manual
> work (probably a git-svn import, plus a lot of cherry-picks, followed by
> a removal of the git-svn data), and (b) i don't know how long it would take.
>
> I'm inclined to lean toward (2), despite the extra time it might take to
> do it right, but i would love to hear some alternate proposals or
> perspectives about what matters here.

My first question will be is it only fontforge or enitre pkg-fonts svn
repository moving to git?

When we tried git-svn for importing our entire repository to git in
Debian-IN team it failed so we left the current svn repository as it
is and moved packages to git. Eventhough git doesn't have all the
packaging / upstream history. History will still be intact on old svn
repository. Even pkg-ruby-extras team did the same they have their old
packages are still in svn and newly named packages are in git
repostiory.

Also if you need help in transition from svn to git count me in :)

That's my 2 cents :)

Best Regards
--

Vasudev Kamath