Re: My own Firewall ??

Well, to each their own, I guess. :)

Can I ask, what is it that you don't like about it?  I like to
understand why people don't use these tools so I can better recommend
them to my clients according to (my expectations of) their tastes...
I guess I've just had a bad experience with it...

I installed knoppix and wanted to clean it up (because I didn't need things like X).

Aptitude *looked* intuitive so I used it to remove un-needed packages. I can't exactly remember what happened but it had a conflict issue and left my system in a complete
mess.

After a while I couldn't even install / uninstall packages with aptitude, it gave me *really*
strange error messages (again can't remember what exactly...)

Anyway after this bad experience I decided to learn a bit more about apt and dpkg and found the experience a much more pleasing one. Sure it's not as intuitive / friendly, but
at least it didn't screw up...

I guess this is all founded on my bad experience and I ought to give it another go one
of these days... you know how blocking bad first impressions can be :-)

I think the problem with aptitude is that it probably makes it too easy to do too much
without really understanding what you're doing - while apt / dpkg doesn't.

Anyways, I ended up reinstalling knoppix but this time I cleaned up the system with apt, then did an apt-get update && apt-get update, and then installed all the stuff I need.

Very nice X-less system, does network bridge, traffic shaping, pbx (using asterisk), backup server (with differential backups and raid 1), mod_perl enabled web server,
and vpn (with openvpn).

Knoppix is my first experience with debian and apart from the aptitude episode all is now really easy to maintain. I love debian - it's just sweet and has tons of really cool
packages :-)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.