From: Martin Bock <ixel@gmx.de>
To: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: no ipchains with 2.2/no network with 2.4
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:00:45 +0100

Pierre,

I just checked my old Woody box. I have the following modules loaded:

$ lsmod
Module             Size  Used by
ip_masq_autofw     2488   0  (unused)
ip_masq_ftp        3584   0  (unused)
rtl8139           11348   0  (unused)
af_packet          6152   0  (unused)
unix              11352   0  (autoclean)

correspondingly:

$ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
unix
af_packet
rtl8139
ip_masq_ftp
ip_masq_autofw

with this configuration, I can, e.g.:

$ ipchains -P input DENY

without complaints. Though others have pointed out how to find
documentation to compile your kernel, compiling is not necessary if you
have reasonable distribution kernels installed. Which route you like
better is up to you ...

Good luck, mab