Re: no ipchains with 2.2/no network with 2.4

Hello!

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:09:30PM +0100, Pierre A. Damas wrote:
> Thanks Martin.
>
> I had installed the kernel-image-2.2.20-idepci
[snip] ... which has no support for ipchains

> I installed the 2.2.20 kernel, and ipchains is now supported by the
> kernel and up and running.
>
> However, I have now the same problem as I described with kernel 2.40
> :(
>
> If I put all policies (input, output, forward) to ACCEPT and add only
> one accept rule with logging enabled, I see a lot of activity passing
> through ipchains, but not going anywhere though.
> (Ping hangs, frees or whatever, and produces 100% packet losts, on my
> internal and external/dmz network)

The IP-Masquerading HOWTO has a nice step-by-step guide for checking
your connectivity. Give it a try.

> Seems that the problem is not related to ipchains.  Could it be
> routing,

May be.
If your testing does not succeed, try to describe your network config,
that we see what you want to achieve, additionally

- internal interface, IP, address range of internal net
- DMZ interface, IP, address range of DMZ net, gateway IP
- output of
	$ ifconfig
	and
	$ route -n
	and
	$ ipchains -L -n
- your /etc/network/interfaces file

> some wrong network configuration that was ignored before due to the
> lack of network kernel support that is now active?  (ip forwarding is
> enabled).

Probably not. BTW did you flush your chains to make sure that there are
no unwanted rules?

mab

> Pierre A.
[snip]