Re: basic question about firewall usage

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:07:34PM -0700, Xucaen wrote:
> What about running samba on the firewall? Are we dealing with the same
> scenarios as before or do you think perhaps samba can be secure
> running on a firewall? My reason for asking this is that I have a
> printer connected to the machine I will be using as a firewall and it
> shares the printer to a couple of windows PC's. I don't know much
> about samba other than I installed it and it works.  :-) Does it use
> ports accesable from the outside?

If you're firewall doesn't block access to it, yes it's accessible from
the outside.  Most firewall configurations will block access from the
Internet (or external) interface while allowing the internal network
access to the machine.  So, in this case your relatively safe, provided
you trust those on your internal network.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar