Re: what is this about firewall and smpt? Which machine is responsible for e-mail?

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:56:57AM -0700, Xucaen wrote:
> I've been reading about people setting up a firewall then having
> problems with port 24? I don't understand. Should the firewall be the
> one to send and receive e-mail? Or should each of the clients
> themselves each be responsible for sending and receiving e-mail? Or do
> they all need it? In the world of windoze, each client is configured
> to send and retrieve e-mail. I thought that by using linux, we only
> needed one server to do all of that.

I'm assuming that you mean port 25 since you're referring to SMTP.  In
short, it's a matter of personal preferrence.  All of the above will
work.  Just a question of what _you_ want.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar