what is this about firewall and smpt? Which machine is responsible for e-mail?

I've been reading about people setting up a
firewall then having problems with port 24? I
don't understand. Should the firewall be the one
to send and receive e-mail? Or should each of the
clients themselves each be responsible for
sending and receiving e-mail? Or do they all need
it? In the world of windoze, each client is
configured to send and retrieve e-mail. I thought
that by using linux, we only needed one server to
do all of that.

Jim