Re: "Crashing" Firewall

On Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 01:0052PM +0200, Urs Martini wrote:
> There was already some help from someone who presumed that
> my troubles were perhaps caused by a disconnect of my dsl-prodiver.
> I'll try to fix that tonight - hopefully that's all what I
> got to do...

It should not crash your firewall.

> But I've another question: Are the ports limited somehow?
> (up to 65000 ports perhaps?)

Urs, I don't want to be impolite now, but this question clearly shows
you don't have much clue about TCP/IP networking. Please try to get some
basic knowledge about the IP protocol suite.

> My router masq's the internet-traffic from three clients
> and the last time my firewall stopped working, I watched the
> blocked ports which were all over 64000 and more...
> Is that a problem or is it just normal for a masquerading
> router?

It is normal, I guess.

To get things running, can you please tell us what exactly happens
("firewall crashes" ist not very precise!) Can you also  look for output
in the logfiles, e.g., but not a complete list,  /var/log/messages,
/var/log/kern.log. Look at the files in /var/log for the timestamp of
the incident.

--
Michael Bergbauer <michael@noname.franken.de>
use your idle CPU cycles - See http://www.distributed.net for details.