Running snort on a firewall - advisable?

I had a discussion recently with a fellow sysadmin regarding the wisdom
of running snort on a firewall machine.   He claimed that it was a bad
idea as it required placing the interface into promiscuous mode and that
if the site was hacked into, it provided the hacker with a ready made
way to sniff packets.  My view is that if you've been hacked, it doesn't
matter.  What is the prevailing wisdom?  Do you run IDS software on your
firewall or do you prefer to have your firewall do all your logging and
then analyze your firewall logs?

                                       Nick