Re: dhclient not setting a default route anymore

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 03:07:36PM -0600, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 14:43, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 10:07:02AM -0600, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > > lease {
> > >   interface "eth0";
> > >   fixed-address 66.188.210.XXX;
> > >   option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
> > >   option time-offset 21600;
> > >   option routers 0.0.0.0;
[snip]
> > >   option broadcast-address 255.255.255.255;
> > >   option netbios-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
[snip]

What?  They're telling you you're running an WINS server on your
own box?  (This shouldn't cause you any trouble, since you're
most likely not using WINS, but if they're not running WINS,
they shouldn't be advertising it.)

> Then I'll ask why the information is incorrect.  They've only
> had it running for a week or so I guess.  It's going to be
> hard once I mention linux since they immediately (at least in
> the past) become very hostile to me.  Hopefully I can talk to
> someone with clue.

This has nothing at all to do with Linux.  If you think they're
going to give you a hard time, you should probably avoid telling
them you're running Linux.  Just mention that you noticed the
netmask and/or broadcast addresses were wrong, and also the
default gateway.  If they really want to know how you know, you
could always tell them "When I run winipcfg, the settings for
the network card say blah blah blah."  :)

--
Michael Wood <mwood@its.uct.ac.za>