Re: dhclient not setting a default route anymore

On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 14:43, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 10:07:02AM -0600, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > lease {
> >   interface "eth0";
> >   fixed-address 66.188.210.XXX;
> >   option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
> >   option time-offset 21600;
> >   option routers 0.0.0.0;
> >   option domain-name-servers 12.24.250.39,12.24.250.40;
> >   option host-name "CLEANED";
> >   option domain-name "home.roc.mn.charter.com";
> >   option broadcast-address 255.255.255.255;
> >   option netbios-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
> >   option dhcp-lease-time 604800;
> >   option dhcp-message-type 5;
> >   option dhcp-server-identifier 12.24.250.44;
> >   renew 2 2001/12/4 18:35:33;
> >   rebind 5 2001/12/7 09:35:33;
> >   expire 6 2001/12/8 06:35:33;
> > }
> >

> 	Well it would appear that instead of using a small /25 subnet for
> your local area they've decided to use a /21 supernet for what reason I
> as a network administrator can't see...
>
> undrgrid@tank:~$ ipv4calc 66.188.210.1/255.255.248.0
> Host:       66.188.210.1
> Network:    66.188.208.0/21
> Broadcast:  66.188.215.255
>
> 	As you can also see by this simple script the broadcast mask they
> provide back to you is incorrect as well as they seem to be sending you
> back the broadcast mask for the default route (0.0.0.0) they are giving
> you... This default route won't get you anywhere as it means "any host"
> which will do you no good... Now in my experience with dhclient I found
> when I had my netmask & broadcast mask being sent back incorrectly to the
> client from the server dhclient would not set the default route... Have
> you tried contacting your ISP with the details you've provided us? I
> would think one of their admins (if they have clue one) would see a problem
> and atleast look into it... If not you really got a bad provider...

It seems to be working with a default route for the whole darn interface
at the moment but I know that's sloppy networking and subject to
breakage at any point.

Thanks for the analysis.  I had thought something was "funny" in the way
it was working but I wasn't sure how to check it properly.  I'll call
charter on monday and thank them for keeping me going while the f**cking
exite@home board of directors play corporate chicken with my internet
access.  Then I'll ask why the information is incorrect.  They've only
had it running for a week or so I guess.  It's going to be hard once I
mention linux since they immediately (at least in the past) become very
hostile to me.  Hopefully I can talk to someone with clue.

--mike