Re: Rewrite MAC-adr on outgoing packages?

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 02:48:26PM -0500, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:

> Proxy ARP:  I am a router with two ethernet interfaces, eth1 and eth2
> with networks n1 and n2 respectively.  Someone on eth1 makes an
> ARP query (see above) for an address a2 in n2, now _I_ say
> "a2's MAC address is M" on eth1, where M is _my_ MAC address.  So the
> packet comes to me, and I forward it to the proper machine on eth2.

Yes, and if I don't do this my machine will report (out on eth1) what
MAC address match a2 on the eth2 net! This is truly bad in my case.

So MAC addresses from NIC:s conected to the eth2 net can be reported
out on eth1. I want to stop this. Proxy ARP shuld solve the ARP problem,
but it seams to be more pakages going the same way. I do beleve it is
brodkasting stuff and responses to that, but I realy don't know :-(

Guess it hard to stop things You don't know exactly what it is.

A firewall with default deny and then alowing everthing used
might work?

Thanks /Lars

--
Lars Hallberg                         Micro++  www.micropp.se/
Freeware * C/C++ * Python * Linux * Debian * HTML * Javascript