Re: Rewrite MAC-adr on outgoing packages?

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:30:35AM +0100, Jörn Engel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > What I want to do is simple:
>
> At first sight, yes. :)
>
> > All packeges leaving my eth0 interface shuld have the MAC-
> > adress of my eth0-card. Regardles if they is orginating att
> > another machine and only routed trhu this machine (who is
> > a gateway).
> > [...]
>
> If you want to change the MAC address of a package without repackaging it,
> you will have to write the patch yourself. And it is not trivial.
> You have to change the MAC address of outgoing frames (trivial)

Yes, I belive this to be trivial. However, as I have no deep understanding
of networking and newer browsed any kernel source before, I expect it to
be a hard time finding the right spot to implement it ;-)

> and of incoming ones (tough).

Do I realy need to do this? And why in that case?

> Set you linux box up as a router, thus repackaging all IP packets. With
> squid and danted (socks) properly configured, the other boxes can access the
> internet and you have a single firewall for every box.

Sorry for this newbe level ;-) But what deside if a packege is past thru
'as is' or properly repackaged?

I did belive everything pasing the kernel whas repackaged, but then stuff
like ARP must contain the (in my case) 'wrong' MAC-adress somewhere
else :-(

Thanks /Lars

--
Lars Hallberg                         Micro++  www.micropp.se/
Freeware * C/C++ * Python * Linux * Debian * HTML * Javascript