Re: Firewall On Slink

On Tuesday, June 22, 1999 at 11:55:56 -0400, Mark W. Eichin wrote:
 > To: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org
 > Subject: Re: Firewall On Slink

 > yeah, "dpkg -l" for all installed, "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade"
 > and you won't *have* any out of date packages, so why worry about
 > listing them;

Many times, there are packages that one may choose to intentionally NOT
upgrade.  (I have two such on this system at present, due to conflicts with
other packages.  I also have all of X, all of tetex, and all of xemacs
on hold, since every time they are upgraded, they cause a HUGE amount
of bandwidth to be used, and I prefer to have manual control over when
that is to be consumed.)  "apt-get upgrade" is just too much of a black
box for my tastes.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I realize I can still use apt-get dselect-upgrade.  (In fact, that's
what I do.)  I'm just trying to present an alternative perspective for
your understanding.

 > Package: apt-find
 > (I haven't tried it yet...)

I did ...

	# apt-find
	Parsing apt sources list...
	It is an absolute dist thingy...
	Boy they suck major ass.
	It is an absolute dist thingy...
	Boy they suck major ass.
	It is an absolute dist thingy...
	Boy they suck major ass.
	Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I've gotten no farther than that, but it's safe to say it's far from
"ready" yet.

For the present, I'd say that `dselect select` still has a significant
role in the Debian world.

--

PGP Public Key available on request:
Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID